Rodrigo started his wine career as a product manager at Expand, dealing with renowned brands such as Concha y Toro, Zuccardi, Achával-Ferrer, Antinori and many others. Later he became responsible for the marketing department at Expand, leading the entire team for three years. After post-graduating in Wine MBA at Bordeaux Management School, he joined Aurora Importadora to open its new wine division, called Inovini. In 2013, he joined wine.com.br, focused on developing the B2B unit and soon assumed the challenge of managing the E&J Gallo account in Brazil.
After this intensive and rewarding experience in the Brazilian wine sector, dealing with a challenging, ever changing environment, Rodrigo found himself ready to move forward and start his own venture. Winext offers tailor made solutions for leading wineries that are striving to expand their commercial presence in the Brazilian market through authentic brand experiences for their customers and distributors.
Concha y Toro
Participated in the management of Brazil’s largest selling imported wine brand, responsible for developing the entry-level category "reservado", the best selling market segment still today.
Concept and implementation of Don Melchor’s roadshows across Brazil, which created a legion of enthusiasts and consolidated as one of the most prestigious in the superpremium category.
Implementation and management of Importadora Aurora’s wine division, from concept, market positioning, portfolio building to daily management of the importer’s commercial and marketing activities. Inovini is now among the leading premium importers in Brazil.
How to build premium brands in emerging markets
This academic paper explores the fundamentals of the brand building process of wine producers in markets where the wine culture is not well disseminated. Through in depth case studies, it identifies how premium brands became successful in Brazil. Awarded best thesis of the year Wine MBA 2009.
Cata de Berlin in São Paulo
Brand Positioning Through Events
Organization of the first Cata de Berlin edition in Brazil with the presence of Steven Spurrier and local wine critics, an event that put Mr. Eduardo Chadwick’s icons Seña, Don Maximiano and Viñedo Chadwick bottle to bottle with the 5 legendary grand cru classé and supertuscans.
Online Channel Development
Participated in the creation and management of the first online wine business-to-business platform in Brazil aimed to support medium size restaurants, hotels and retailers across the country in their wine needs.
Winext Brazil – Founder
Apr 13 - Nov 15
Wine.com.br – Manager B2B Division
Responsible for managing the B2B division of the largest wine e-commerce in Latin America. Later development and implementation of E&J Gallo brand strategy in Brazil
Mai 08–Apr 13
Aurora Importadora / Inovini – Wine Division General Manager
Founded and operated the new wine division
Jan 05 – Apr 08
Expand Group Brasil – Marketing Manager
Account manager for international brands and marketing manager
Jan 03 – Dec 04
Duratex SA (Itaú Group) – Trader International
Market development and customer service for the international client base of the Deca division
Jul 01 – Abr 03
Argos Global Partner Services – Export Manager
General manager of the international subsidiary in the USA
Jan 00 – Feb 01
Dresdner Bank Global Capital Markets Div – Trainee
Assistant at the global markets division
Thyssen Stahlunion GmbH – Internship AIESEC Program
Internship in Germany and Portugal at the international controlling department
- Wine MBA Bordeaux Management School (2008/2009)
- Wine and Spirits Education Trust – WSET Level III Diploma (2012)
- Business Administration Bachelor at Fundação Getulio Vargas São Paulo (1996–2001)
- Vienna University of Business and Economics – Exchange Program (1999-2000)
- Bilangual Elementary School at Humboldt Schule São Paulo (1987-1995)
- Fluent in German and English, Spanish intermediary, Portuguese native
- Wine and Spirits Education Trust Level III
- Wine Appreciation Course at Gallo Wine & Spirits Academy
- Professor wine marketing course at the Brazilian Sommeliers Association (ABS-SP. 2011/12), Strategy for the wine business and Wine markets in Brazil at FGV/SP (2010-12), Managing brands in wine at SENAC (2010)
- Speech at the seminar “Wine Market Trends for Brazil” at Expovinis (Apr 2010)
- Awarded with the best thesis Wine MBA 2008/09 – Topic: “How to successfully manage luxury wine brands in emerging markets. A case study applied to the Brazilian market.” – Supervisor: Prof. Larry Lockshin
- First Brazilian to receive the Wine MBA diploma. Best thesis 2008/09
- Solid professional and academic experience in Europe and USA, living abroad for 5 years
- Vast marketing experience and brand management, working with leading wine brands in Brazil, such as Concha y Toro, Norton and Antinori. Commercial expertise in On and Off Trade channels.
- Active participation in the internationalization of Duratex group, opening new markets overseas (Middle-East and Asia)